Child Has High Arches In Their Feet? Tips To Help Them Feel Better

When your feet hurt day and night, you may wonder if you're ever go without pain again. Chronic foot pain can wreak havoc on your life. The pain can strike at any given moment, or it can last for days on end. I was in your shoes a few years ago. My feet would ache at work, in the evening, and even when I slept at night. Finally, I sought help from a podiatrist, or foot doctor. The doctor examined my feet and diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis and heel pain. Both conditions would become worse without immediate treatment. I now want to share what I've learned about chronic foot pain with you. My blog provides information about different types of foot pain and how they develop. Hopefully, the information can help you feel good again. Thanks for stopping by and good luck.

Child Has High Arches In Their Feet? Tips To Help Them Feel Better

11 August 2017
 Categories: , Blog

If your child has high arches in their feet this can be very painful. Because of this, your child may not walk normally, such as with a limp. Fortunately, there are treatment options available to help relieve your child's pain, which will improve their walking. The first thing you should do is to take your child to a podiatrist. They may suggest your child get corrective shoes, or they may suggest surgery.

See a Podiatrist

Your child may need surgery to make them feel better. The podiatrist will first do a variety of tests to determine the cause of their high arch. These tests include x-raying their feet, x-raying their spine, and performing an MRI of their spine.

This problem is often due to the nerves and muscles in the feet. For this reason, the doctor will do a test called an electromyography (EMG). This test checks the health of your child's foot nerves and muscles.

The podiatrist can do a surgery that flattens your child's feet. They will also treat the nerve problems during the surgery. Once the surgery is over the podiatrist will ask you to take your child to physical therapy to help them gain strength and movement back in their feet.

If the podiatrist does not think your child needs surgery, they will refer you to an orthotics specialist to have special inserts made for your child's shoes.

Get Corrective Shoes

The shoes your child wears may make their pain much worse. To help with this the orthotics specialist can help create corrective shoes for your child. These shoes have a support insole and an arch insert.

In many cases, the changes can be made to the current shoes that your child wears. If their shoes will not work well, you will be told by the specialist different types of shoes that are available on the market. Your child should have no problem finding ones that she like. If your child likes to wear more than one shoe, now is the time to buy the other pairs so you can have all of them changed.

To make the insoles and arch inserts, the specialist will make a mold of your child's feet. This will ensure everything fits properly and the shoes will feel comfortable on your child's feet.

Your child's podiatrist can go over all this information with you in much more detail so together you can decide the best course of treatment.